Sunday, May 23, 2010

25 days to go... but who's counting?

I haven't posted in a long time, and I'm not going to give some excuse like I've been busy or something. Yes, Katima-life is a busy life, but at the very end, it has also proven to provide me with little or no blogging inspiration or motivation.

My job at Manoir Saint-Joachim has been a good experience for me. I do a lot of physical labour, like cleaning, moving furniture, and painting, as well as serving lunch every day to seniors. Although it can be tedious, it is rewarding to see the effects that my helping out offers these people, who have little mobility and often no family to come help them out. Most are appreciative, some are nasty old folks, but I deal with it. I often stay late but, again, I deal with it. It's certainly not my favourite job... in fact, it's been my least favourite... but I can't complain. I've had INCREDIBLE job experiences.

The tension in our house is enormous and incredibly obvious. On the outside, we seem like a happy group that loves each other, but what goes on within these walls is completely different. We fight, we bicker, we argue about using margarine or butter, and who left the bathroom light on. I get along with the good majority of the group, but the other people I could most certainly do without. To be honest, it's quite disappointing. You'd think after 8 months of living and spending every waking moment together would result in stronger bonds and relationships. But no, not quite, unless we just aren't good at showing it. Perhaps this is a coping mechanism for some, that's what I'd like to think anyway.

Despite the bad times, they are what help us learn. For me, they have helped me see the true colours of the people I thought I trusted, and have helped me appreciate the people I didn't truly appreciate before. Our group has had many good times, and those are what make being here worth it.

No matter who I keep in touch with, no matter who I lose touch with, people are meant to come in and out of my life. Katimavik has taught me that.

Did I mention 25 more days?!

2 comments:

  1. 25 days... Even if it isn't what we want to do, we just can't stop the countdown. Hard to believe that the end is ahead now.

    You put words on a feeling that I have since we are in Edmonton. Thanks. What's happening in our house is just sad. But like my friend told me before Katimavik, your experience is what you make out of it. Let's just hope we can influence the group positively for the little time that is left.

    By the way, it's crazy how 8 months can change a person. You've improved so much since September 23th. You seem to have learned so much from this program. I wish I could note the same changes to myself.

    I'm glad to still have those 25 days with you in our group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, if there is ANYONE in this house I'm proud of, it's you! Trust me on this one... you have evolved enormously, too. And on top of this, our friendship has changed dramatically. I think out of everyone in this house, our relationship is the one I can look back on and say... wow, look how far we've come.

    You may not be able to note the changes yourself, but I can see them and am so grateful to have someone as dedicated and hardworking as you in my group.

    ReplyDelete