Thursday, September 10, 2009

so pack a change of clothes, cause it's time to move on

In 17 days time, I will be embarking on quite possibly the biggest adventure of my life: Katimavik, “a program in which those 17 to 21 years of age spend 9 months helping in community projects in three different areas.” Basically, I’ll be living in three different provinces for three months each with ten other people. Pretty much Big Brother without the video cameras and being on TV. My first destination is Port Colborne (Ontario), then I’m in Bridgewater (Nova Scotia), and last but not least, Edmonton (Alberta). However, I won’t be right in Edmonton, but in a little French community just on the outskirts.


A year from now, I wouldn’t have dreamed of taking a year off in between high school and university. I was afraid people would think I’m not smart enough to go to university, I was afraid of my friends leaving me behind. I didn’t want to be OLDER; I didn’t want to graduate at 23 instead of 22, for fear of… what? The fear seemed so rational at the time, and now I can’t even remember why I was afraid.


But after months of deliberation, I realized that taking this opportunity would not leave me behind, but push me forward in ways I would not experience going straight to university. Now when I think about my decision, I am happy to have made it, to have disconnected myself from those who thought it may not be the right choice. I’m excited, nervous, anxious, agitated, enthusiastic, scared (thank you Thesaurus.com)… but I’m ready.


In the words of John Mayer:
“Everybody is just a stranger,
But that’s the danger in going my own way.
Still everything happens for a reason.”


I’ve been testing the waters my whole life, but the only way to live is by diving in head first.

2 comments:

  1. I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

    -- Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite poems that I try to live my life by. :)

    ReplyDelete