Wednesday, January 20, 2010

the b'wats

I've been in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia for exactly 2 weeks now and am so far enjoying it very much, although it still doesn't feel home like Port Colborne did. My job is going well and I'm loving working with Rachelle, although I'm a little worried about when I'm alone there because there isn't much to do sometimes. It's been good working with her because we combine both of our ideas and can create little projects for ourselves. However, when the centre is busy it's very fun! I've discovered a love for working with children, especially with toddlers ages 3-4. The women I work with say I have a gift for children, which is really interesting because I would always say that I hate kids and they hate me. There is one boy at my work who has a lot of speech problems, so it's been interesting to interpret what he says and help him when he stumbles over a word. I've been reading a lot of speech therapy books and have been told that I can work with him. Rachelle and I finished putting together a personal wellness guide for the spa-day we're doing at our job for mothers to come and relax.

Yesterday we had an amazing workshop with Paul, our PSL (project support leader), about different types of diets and how they impact us and our environment. He used to be vegetarian, then was vegan, and now he eats meat again as long as it's organic and free-range. It was very interesting and definitely inspired me to learn more about what I'm eating and how it affects everyone else and myself. He also talked a lot about how soy products can be very harmful to the body, so I'm going to look into alternatives. I've been 100% vegetarian since mid-rotation in Port Colborne, so I'm very proud of myself for coming this far!

When Paul came yesterday night, we had a huge jam session. Matt played ukulele, Rachelle played violin, Dan played the tambourine, and I, Paul, and John played guitar. We played the song Wagon Wheel, and it was so much fun! So magical. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment