Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Relationships, work, and nostalgia

I haven't felt very motivated to post on my blog lately. Mainly because it's been a little stressful in the house, and I've been sick. The atmosphere of our house is really interesting, and sometimes I just like to sit back and observe. I feel like we have matured as individuals, but there are still some key factors that we lack. Many changes we have made are being disregarded, which is very discouraging for us. Rasheeda knew everything about us, as individuals and as a group. She saw us at our worst and at our best. She saw us change and evolve into the group we are now, and it feels like it's just all gone to waste because our project leader lives in a Katima-bubble.

My job is going very well, and it's been especially nice getting to know and work with Rachelle. I feel like I'm really doing something for the community, even if it's as little as taking care of their kids while they relax, or organizing a Spa Day for the mother's with Rachelle.

A young deaf girl came into my work last week, with only the clothing she was wearing (that she'd worn for 5 days). No jacket, no boots. It truly was heartbreaking to see her at such odds. I helped her find some warm clothing in our exchange downstairs, which she was incredibly grateful for. It really made me reflect on my privileges. I realize how much I have taken for granted.

It's really surprising how quickly relationships can change... how one minute your best friend becomes questionable, and the person you thought you hated turns out to be the one you can most confide in. And then there are those people who you don't know what to think about. At first, you can't imagine your life without them, and then you wonder how you can be friends with them. It's frustrating, feeling like you are out of control, but luckily my job makes me feel grounded in some way.

I don't regret doing Katimavik. We have a love/hate relationship, which I think is the case for everyone in this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment