Sunday, February 14, 2010

Billeting #2

I just arrived at my second billet home yesterday evening, and I love them already. The great thing about billeting is that you really get to know a local family, and I get to improve on my adapting skills. They are such a kind-hearted group of people, and I can't wait to get to know them better. I've been quite sick recently, so I wasn't able to go out with them this weekend, which I'm really disappointed about, but hopefully I'll have other opportunities. Their grandchildren live with them as well, and I'll be helping out at her granddaughters birthday party on Saturday, so that should be fun!

Billeting makes me a little nervous about going home in June. B
ecause I've been surrounded by 10+ people all the time, there is always something to do and always someone to talk to. Back home, I would go out with my friends but I was also content just sitting around at home. At this point in my life, I don't really enjoy doing that anymore. I found myself getting bored easily and feeling the need to do something, but getting frustrated when I couldn't find something to do. However, I got halfway through "Into The Wild" in one day... I think Katimavik is making me a faster reader, and giving me a greater thirst for knowledge.

But, as I was saying, I hope I'll be able to find things to do at home. Like I said, I'm nervous about not having a group of people around me all the time, as I've grown so accustomed to it. However, at the same time, maybe that is one thing I subconsciously looked for in Katimavik... to ignite my drive to DO something.
I find myself quite turned off by TV now. I no longer want to watch it. In fact, it's become almost an annoyance. I did watch some of the Olympics today but, not being a huge hockey fan, I turned to A&E and watched one of those lame detective shows (that claim to be realistic, but what reality they refer to I d
on't know.) I found I couldn't just turn my brain off like I used to be able to. Instead of just vegging out, every so often I would think... what else could I be doing with this time?

So, here's to a new goal for post-Katimavik: find replacements for easy boredom-fixers.


What I'd like to do this summer:
- write, compose, and record music
- read challenging books (
W
ar and Peace, Solitude, White Fang, and those alike)
- research things that interest me
- take photography more seriously (i.e., consciously pack my camera and set out to take planned, and spontaneous, ph
otographs)
- write more about important topics, with the possibility of submitting articles
- get back into collaging, but with more complex mediums
- make regular trips to the Salvation Army/Value Village and start altering clothing
- get downtown more often,
and do touristy things, as I feel slightly disconnected from my hometown
- spend way more time in the outdoors
- find unique volunteer opportunities

This list will definitely grow...


2 comments:

  1. Great List Meg.

    So here's what I thought of about a year ago. You take a picture and send it to me. I start writing a story inspired by the picture. I take another picture and send it to you with what I stared to write. You use the new picture to add to the story - take another picture and send the story and picture to me.

    How could we ever be bored?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea, dad! :)

    ReplyDelete