Tuesday, October 6, 2009

we'll all float on

Things have been going well during Katimavik. For the most part everyone is getting along, and if heads butt we are quick to solve the problem. We're all really close and comfortable with each other, so confrontations don't really happen because we aren't afraid to bring up problems.

I started work at Second Chance yesterday. My first day was a little rough... the students seemed a bit hostile towards me, which is understandable because they have no idea who I am. They all come from pretty troubled families and outside lives, so I get that they don't want to trust me right away. I don't expect them to. I did mostly computer work, and helped some of them with what I could.

My second day went a lot better. N seems to be warming up to me the fastest. She's really funny and personable, and a really hard worker. Three of the guys at Second Chance didn't come back after lunch yesterday, so they got in trouble today when they went to school. T, the teacher, told me about a lot of their background stories... most of their problems seem to stem from bad parenting, or lack of parental support. I won't post them on here, because it's the Internet, but they're pretty sad.

Last Saturday we went to the Gandhi Peace Festival in Hamilton, where we saw Gandhi's grandson speak and took part in a peace walk. I got to hold a sign, which was fun. And we got to hang out with the Hamilton group, too. After that we drove to their house, went to the park and played some sports, and then we drove to see Niagara Falls. So far, it's been my favourite day. Niagara Falls were SO cool, and sharing it with my group made it that much more special.




3 comments:

  1. You've just experienced one of the seven natural wonders of the world - only six more to go.

    Did you wait to catch that bird flying over Niagra? A beautiful shot Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope that was pure luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. D: That's you in the last picture! I miss you like shittcrazy.

    ReplyDelete